More about me and Tracks and Chapters!

Monday, September 1, 2014

NetGalley Review-Huckleberry Christmas by Jennifer Beckstrand

Hey everyone!! Sorry, I was planning to have this review written DAYS ago. Unfortunately, I have not since I have had a terrible headache for a week and have been sick with a cold since Thursday/Friday. This has really knocked me through a loop so please bear with me! Stay tuned to my blog now though because I have more books coming in the next few days as well as a special surprise post!

My book for today for you is by Jennifer Beckstrand called "Huckleberry Christmas". This is my first book accepted through NetGalley and it was a great first experience. I'll definitely use them again! (I cheated and used the book description instead of creating my own this time because of my throbbing headache ;)  )

                                            Here is Huckleberry Christmas!!
                              
                                        *Description*

Now that they've happily married off two of their grandchildren, Anna and Felty Helmuth are ready for their next matchmaking challenge. What better way to celebrate the most heartwarming of seasons--and make Huckleberry Hill, Wisconsin, the place for unexpected love. . .
A difficult marriage has left the Helmuths' widowed great-granddaughter, Beth, finished with wedlock. She's content to live with them and make a life for herself and her toddler son. But once she turns down handsome Tyler Yoder's proposal, it seems only fair to encourage him to find a suitable wife. Trouble is, his gentleness and generous ways are showing her how joyous a real meeting of hearts can be. . .
After a failed courtship, Tyler thought the best he could hope for in a wife was mere companionship. But spirited Beth is the one he longs to protect, and hold close. Earning her trust is the hardest thing he's ever had to do. And soon, both will discover that forgiveness and understanding are gifts that only rekindled faith--along with the happiest of holidays--can bring.

                         *Why I liked it*

Huckleberry Christmas was different from any other Amish book I've read. It has more romance in it then the others. Don't get me wrong I LOVE Wanda Brunstetter and Beverly Lewis but the romantic suspense in this one is incredible,especially in a more unknown author. Not to mention, even though She uses "Yoder", she uses names that aren't necessarily Amish...which I love the name Tyler sooo, yeah.

Surprisingly, this one also uses some great humor in an unlikely source. Old, Amish grandparents who still believe they are spring chickens. Which I think is great! I hope I am like that when I get old! :) Perfect story for the love and the humorous parts are just wonderful! Can't wait for their next book to see what happens with Emma and Ben in "Huckleberry Spring"!! 

                       *What didn't I like*
There honestly isn't much about this book I didn't care for. The only thing that stuck out to me is this. Amish are very quiet, peaceful people, and though they do have tempers and frustrations like the rest of us, for most Amish it is against their belief to physically hurt someone e.t.c. Though the author did it right with the scene with Tyler, I didn't care too much for the scene where Beth threatens Tyler in the beginning. It is not a big thing but it does make it less "correct". I guess it's just me but some of the physical aspects (fighting e.t.c) just didn't do it for me.


                             *My Rating*

I give Huckleberry Christmas....


4 1/2 stars out of five for teen approved, up all night reading, humor, and just all out romance and fun. 

*Why my rating is what it is*

Never fear Jennifer, your book is wonderful. In fact it probably would have been a five if it wasn't for the teen friendliness part...I just don't feel the fighting is something their parents would necessarily encourage.



"Huckleberry Christmas" by Jennifer Beckstrand is available for purchase  at  Amazon...go buy it right now!!

Looking for something else to read? Maybe look for the rest of the "Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill" series!!

Blessings,
Nicki


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone!! Thanks for visiting my blog!! If you have any music requests or you see something you don't like on my blog, just email me at olsen.nicole8@gmail.com. Have a great rest of your day and come back soon for more reviews!

Get your copy now!

Get your copy of SABOTAGED by Author Dani Pettrey!