More about me and Tracks and Chapters!

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Litfuse Review-To Win Her Favor by Tamera Alexander

Guess. What?! I am so happy to bring to you...Tamera Alexander's newest book 'To Win Her Favor'!

Check it out!





___________________________________________________

*Summary*

A gifted rider in a world where ladies never race, Maggie Linden is determined that her horse will become a champion. But the one man who could help her has vowed to stay away from thoroughbred racing forever.

An Irishman far from home, Cullen McGrath left a once prosperous life in England because of a horse racing scandal that nearly ruined him. He's come to Nashville for a fresh start, hoping to buy land and begin farming, all while determined to stay as far away from thoroughbred racing as possible. But starting over proves harder than he'd wagered, especially when Maggie Linden's father makes him an offer he shouldn't accept yet cannot possibly refuse.

Maggie is certain that her mare, Bourbon Belle, can take the top purse in the inaugural Peyton Stakes, the richest race ever run in America. Maggie only needs the chance to prove it. To give her that chance--and to save Linden Downs from being sold to the highest bidder--Maggie's father, aging, yet wily as ever, makes a barter. His agreement includes one tiny, troublesome detail--Maggie must marry a man she's never met. A man she never would have chosen for herself.

 __________________________________________________

*My Thoughts*

Last year, I had to pick 15 top books last year. No. Way. No way that's happening this year. So many fabulous books and 15 just won't cut it...especially since this one could easily take a few spots all on it's own!!

The characters and plot line were AMAZING!! I'm already a sucker for arranged marriages (NO, I don't want one but I love STORIES about them ;). The relationship between Cullen & Maggie grows and changes throughout the book and Tamera did an awesome job!! I loved how gradually Maggie's opinion of Cullen, Irishmen in general, changed. It really angered me, the names that people were called in the aftermath of the war but was really proud at times of Cullen's reaction. His character took it in stride for himself but refused to stand away when someone else was the victim. 

Maggie was a little trickier. That's where the emotion steps in. Losing everything that I've known is tough enough and then throw in a complete stranger to marry...wow. Through all of it, she had to learn to keep a tight reign on her emotions, especially regarding Bourbon Belle. 

I have to share what Carole Jarvis said in her review for 'To Win Her Favor' on the intimacy side to this book. Her words reflect my thoughts exactly and I didn't want to copy but decided to quote her instead (be sure to check out her review):

"I can't leave with addressing something that I just don't understand; namely, that several reviewers have given this book a one-star rating due to the level of intimacy between Cullen and Maggie. In a time when so many books end at the engagement or wedding ceremony, I find it refreshing to read a story that focuses on the marriage itself. As a Christian wife who has been happily married for over 40 years, I appreciate the realism of both conflict and growing attraction that Tamera conveys so tastefully. And the conversations that take place in the bedroom setting add so much understanding, feeling and emotion that I can't imagine this story without them. There's a difference between intimate and explicit, and Tamera never goes beyond the boundaries into anything that I would find offensive." -Carole Jarvis 

Such an awesome aspect to have Maggie's involvement in thoroughbred racing on top of it all.  Add a stunning cover and you have pretty much the perfect book. Cannot WAIT for book two!!

____________________________________________________
*My overall thoughts*

To Win Her Favor by Tamera Alexander is a new favorite author. Her perfect blend of challenges and triumphs make it a joy to read while her vivid details keep you aching for more! Where other authors may choose one lead for the main plot: Arranged marriage, first female thoroughbred racers, aftermath of the civil war to name a few, Tamera uses expert writing to weave it all together. 100+ stars!!

__________________________________________________ 
*My Rating*

I give To Win Her Favor by Tamera Alexander...


                                     




5 stars!! 
_____________________
 *Where to get it*


More book thoughts to confess soon including a suspense so be sure to check back!
Happy Reading,
Nicki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey everyone!! Thanks for visiting my blog!! If you have any music requests or you see something you don't like on my blog, just email me at olsen.nicole8@gmail.com. Have a great rest of your day and come back soon for more reviews!

Get your copy now!

Get your copy of SABOTAGED by Author Dani Pettrey!